The issue I faced with relating to Chapter 2, The Empowered Researcher, is that the students I teach/taught would not be searching on the Internet at any point during my instruction time. Most of my former students were lucky to be able to label the letters in their first name by age 5, so truncating a URL is a little extreme for them. However, this is an issue I've faced often in grad school and at company trainings as research in my general field is minimal. Maybe not research in preschool alone, or special education alone, but in "preschool special education" the amount of research and presentations are skimpy. So I've gotten used to adapting the information for my use and have passed along tons of great ideas to coworkers and friends that work with older students.
The kid friendly search engines mentioned in the text are certainly something to keep in my back pocket for use by my relatives and coworkers. I did decide, however, that it might be helpful if some of the kids search engines/websites "spoke" to searchers more. If my students were to roll over an icon, it would be great if that icon gave them ideas of what they could play with or learn from on a given page with an actual voice output. I can't imagine the time and effort it would take a web designer to set something like that up, but I bet a pro would say the idea isn't totally off the wall or unachievable. I guess a lot of that is reserved for games that children and families would pay to use on their computers?
For example, this Fisher Price website has awesome games for students age infant to preschooler. But, on the page where the student would choose the game, there is no auditory description of what they could choose. Students would just be choosing games based on the picture icon and not the content. When you get into a game, like this one about opposites, the directions, prompts, and praise are accompanied by sound. That's an outstanding option for a non-reader or a beginning reader.
I know this feedback might sound very case specific, but if you think about it, a lot of students are unable to read until first grade. Even some second graders may be able to read well, but might not be totally confident with their abilities to do so on an unfamiliar site loaded with text (and blinking, moving ads in the margins, headers, and footers).
Finally, a lot of the kid friendly search engines weren't as forgiving with misspellings as good old Google. When I typed in "tomas tha tnk" (a pretend phonetic spelling of Thomas the Tank) on CyberSleuth Kids and Kids Click, no search results were found. I did have luck with AOL Kids and traditional Google. However, Google was the only site to automatically give me Thomas the Tank findings, without having to click on another hyperlink labeled Thomas the Tank.
Here are just some random other reflections/questions that I wrote down while reading. This part isn't very well formed, but I still wanted to throw it out to you all:
I did find it interesting that the tilde (~) symbol meant that a site was based on opinion. So that's something I'll definitely take with me in future research and Web surfs. It is curious that Blog URLs don't have tildes embedded in their text, but perhaps it's just to be assumed that content in Blogs is most often opinion based.
One thing I did wonder while reading was is .us follows as TLD extension when you search United States site in Europe or South America, for example? I never even thought to ask about that until going through the reading.
It's really wild that companies and groups can purchase words for web searches for their benefit. It reminded me a lot of pharmaceutical companies funding disease research so that their drugs will seem more useful or necessary. It really makes you wonder how easy it is to get solid, valid, straight, fact based answers about personal questions.
Great observations and suggestions for what younger children need! The tilde usually is inserted when it's a personal page - off of a website. For example if PSU wants to give its users all personal sites, you might see it as www.psu.edu/education/personalpages/~mfritz
ReplyDeleteOf course, that's not how they do it but it's an example of how they can tack the personal names on the end.
I'm also intrigued by your findings on searching by misspellings. I think that google does a pretty good job (and sometimes annoying) of suggesting words when I've misspelled. I also don't think that students younger than 5 are going to be doing their own searching just yet. Next week, we'll explore searching a little further with some tools that may help the younger students.
Dr. Fritz
Nice! Looking forward to some new information about the use of the Internet with the really little ones. It's been tough to find that sort of information independently.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the ~ clarification as well.
Do you know about the ".us" questions? If you are in France and looking at the US yahoo, would the URL read www.yahoo.com.us do you think?
Hi Jessica, I too found out some new things about reading URL's from chapter 2. The tilde definition I didn't know either.
ReplyDeleteI love your search that you made with all of the kid friendly search engines. I agree with you on certain websites. For instance, National Geographic for Kids is a great site I think, but it can be a little confusing to explore around in for a second grader. I think audio files over icons is a great idea. Anyother tricks/ideas up your sleeves? I always thought that for preschooler websites that the screens should have less and bigger icons for the younger learners to focus in on.
@Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI'm not 100%sure....but I think that www.yahoo.com is yahoo.com no matter where you are in the world.....just as www.facebook.com is facebook.com everywhere. The country code just tells you that site is hosted in another country which gives it that country code (2 letter) extention.
I was surprised too that companies can purchase words for web searches. I did learn that the hard way in December. I ordered Ugg gloves from a bogus website. Fortunately, my card was not charged. But, I did learn that any site that uses the company name in it's URL is not legitimate. I also learned to scroll over or click on the security icon. If the security information comes up, then the site is protected. If the information doesn't come up, then chances are it's just a picture and not the real deal.
ReplyDeleteThere are great sites for young kids out there. PBS kids is great too! It has games for all levels. Some are skill based and some are just for fun. It also uses the characters that the young kids love.
Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI have a four year old, and I thought what you said was really interesting. There is technology available to allow scroll overs to speak. Disney (which of course has the means to do this) has a site for younger kids called Disney Junior (a replacement for what many of use know as Playhouse Disney). With the new page, the sound response is slow, but it is possible (to see, visit here: http://disney.go.com/disneyjunior/).
Kids really do start using the internet at a very young age. My daughter brings up YouTube videos on my iPhone - she knows that she can only use the "book" (the favorites that I have selected for her). She has learned how to spell "Tangled" so she can search for her favorite movie clips using the magnifying class icon. Kids are using this technology before they can read, which means it is up to parents to begin responsible searching with their children, but parents are in the same boat that we are...trying to catch up with a technology that is changing all the time. This leaves children on their own to develop the bad habits that November writes about. It is an interesting problem.