1. How will you apply the concepts from the above online learning experiences in your final web-based learning experience project for this course?
I'm leaning towards completing an online research module for my final project. The Eric Karl example that I posted on the wiki was really helpful. It got me thinking about how to age appropriately integrate Internet learning into preschool special education lessons. I'll probably make a lesson geared toward itinerant teaching, since I know from previous experience how to organized one of those lessons. Perhaps I'll include a link the blank WELES lesson planner in the teacher section as well? It's always nice to have another planning resource.
2. What content area are you thinking about using? You might have a unit that needs some "sprucing up".
The content areas in preschool special education are pretty basic. Since I'm going to need to use web resources that already exist to help my lesson along, I'll probably just pick a general knowledge concept as opposed to a behavioral or social concept. I'm thinking about completing a lesson on opposites. However, I need to get out there and find some more existing information before I really commit to an idea. Also, I'd like to get a chance to work with a few more Internet teaching strategies before beginning to tackle my final project. But, if I do go with my opposite idea, one example of a useful game that I found was this opposite game. Teaching opposites/beginning concepts can get a little stale for students, so having something computer based might be just what an itinerant teacher would need to maintain student attention.
3. What websites have you found so far that you would like to use?
(You can start your own list in your Diigo account for this project. You can also tag all of the sites for this project with a special tag. Then, when you go to look up the sites, all you have to do is type that tag to search for them!)
Here are some examples of Opposite Lesson Plans that I will modify to meet itinerant preschool special education online learning lessons. I'll use games from some of the other sites I've shared in other posts and blog responses too. Those are all already tagged in Diigo for you. My icon is a dog in a raincoat on Diigo.
http://www.ehow.com/way_5263284_toddler-lesson-plans-opposites.html
http://its.guilford.k12.nc.us/act/grade1/act1.asp?ID=965
http://www.suite101.com/content/preschool-lesson-plan-on-opposites-a322475
http://www.atozteacherstuff.com/pages/363.shtml
http://www.tlsbooks.com/preschoolconcepts.htm
http://www.perpetualpreschool.com/preschool_themes/opposites/opposites_songs.htm
I think that using a game with pre-school children is a great idea. This tool would keep them engaged, while testing their skills. They wouldn't even realize they are being assessed.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I liked the game links . . .I am going to try them out with my niece and nephews!
I loved the Eric Karl lesson that you posted, i thought that seemed very interesting and my students love Eric Karl.
ReplyDeleteI think creating an online learning experience for you is so challenging, because as you mentioned, when dealing with preschool special education students, their behavioral expectations are far different then anything that has to do with a computer (of course I'm making an assumption). I think a webquest that brings students to very visual websites is appropriate. I am having a difficult time trying to think of ideas for you. Your opposites idea is a good one, but the challenging part is using the internet. I'll keep thinking.
Thanks for thinking of/for me, Phil. It is a rough road for my kids as far as internet use and making it meaningful. The other daunting bit for my lesson plan is that itinerant teachers aren't teaching students all day, they get 30 minutes per week, for 52 weeks, to teach students enough of what they need to know so that the students make adequate progress on their IEP goals. Since some students have opposite goals, I figured this *could* *maybe* help some higher functioning (behvaiorally appropriate) students.
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteTry http://www.earobics.com/gamegoo/gooey.html for more games. There is an opposite game, but it may be too hard for your kids. However, there are good alphabet games and other concepts too.
I think your lesson idea is great for your kids. I love the game you posted because it has pictures and words. That would work for all levels. I'm going to add it to my favorites.
I found this really great website that would be perfect for your kids. www.rif.org/kids/leadingtoreading/en/leadingtoreading.htm You might want to check it out for ideas that could be used in your final project. It has stories, songs, games, etc.
ReplyDeleteJessica,
ReplyDeleteI often wonder how you can create web lessons for children who cannot yet read. Opposites is such a great idea - its so visual. Regardless, however, you must depend heavily upon parental involvement. I actually think I am going to bookmark the funschool link you put in so that I can play games with my daughter. I can't wait to see what you create!
Thanks for all of these great ideas, guys!
ReplyDelete