Monday, May 30, 2011

For some reason I couldn't comment again...

But I wanted to acknowledge your feedback.  So I'll just put a response here...

I totally agree that technology and digital readers and writers can aid the older special eduation population.  I also wanted to share a little excerpt of a blog I follow (it's the mom of a student I evaluated a year ago) that shows how technology can assist even 3.5 year olds.  The things that the therapists that I work with do with this little guy are amazing!  He's a rather involved little fella and they use simple (and not so simple) applications to help him to communicate.  This Thursday entry has a great example of the speech therapist's innovation.  Here's the specific section that I'm talking about.  The blog isn't all about his therapy, so in case you don't want to weed through it all...

"First was Miss Maggie for speech therapy. She came with her supervisor who, luckily, is well versed on the c​o​m​m​u​n​i​c​a​t​i​o​n app I have on my iPad. "Proloquo 2 Go". We set it up so Gavin only saw one choice - a book. He had to touch the screen to hear "Book" in order to get his favorite books! He caught on pretty quick today and did a great job! The iPad can be tricky - you really have to touch "just right" and make sure you're not touching it with your other hand at the same time or it won't work. It's also a little tough as Gavin i​n​t​e​n​t​i​o​n​a​l​l​y touches the iPad - but not in the right spot that gets it to "talk". We're getting there..."

No comments:

Post a Comment