What does an "Internet Safety and Security" policy need to look like in your classroom?
Think about:
1. How your students will use the Web
My students would use the Internet to play educational games with adult supervision. They might use the Internet to chat with other students via Skype or other video chat tools. They may be able to do follow up activities provided by classroom teachers in their homes using the Internet if their classroom teachers created class websites.
2. The Standards (above)
• advocate and practice safe, legal, and responsible use of information and technology--- This would be done by classroom and itinerant teachers before each interaction with the Internet. Our students are young and need many reminders. It might be nice to accompany the verbal ques with a visual safety and use schedule. Perhaps something made with the Boardmaker icons that our students are used to working with throughout the school and therapy day.
• exhibit a positive attitude toward using technology that supports collaboration, learning, and productivity-- Preschool special education students seem to come to the table with pretty excited and positive feelings about technology as it is, but this could be enhanced with planned experiences. Teachers would differentiate student introductions to Internet games and lessons by assuring that students are first given success in completing online work, and then moving onto more challenging Internet activities.
• demonstrate personal responsibility for lifelong learning-- At 3-5 years old, this might be something teachers would work with parents to establish? Giving the preschool special education students the skills to begin navigating the Internet would be a start.
• exhibit leadership for digital citizenship-- This would probably include lessons on digital citizenship and what it entails. Maybe once a week for a few months. Perhaps a mascot could be created and then a graduate certificate and ceremony could happen at the end of the unit.
3. What access do you (and your students) have to the Internet
I have a laptop that the CCIU provides for me to do my work. I do not have a wireless card, but could apply to get one if neccessary. Some of the people who do my job in Southern Chester County have wireless cards, simply because access is more sparce in that area when you're on the road, evaluating and holding IEP meetings. Most classrooms had one or 2 desk tops for the students to use.
4. Your building/district AUP
The CCIU's AUP is extensive and something that was easily adaptable to Preschool Special Educaiton needs.
5. The grade level of your students
My students are Pre-Kindergarten students, ages 3-5
Something that I thought of when reading your post is the challenge of applying the policy to this age group. I think a big challenge in creating an AUP for preschoolers is wording and making sure the learners understand. Perhaps the policy would more be written for the parents and through both the school and parents emphasizing the points, the preschooler would progress.
ReplyDelete--Jen A
I like your idea of a mascot for digital citizenship! Like Jen said above, the policy is probably more for the parents, but you can certainly get the kids involved in certain aspects. With the different explanations that you mentioned, such as visual and verbal cues, and the consistent reinforcement of the policy, hopefully the kids will be able to internalize the correct ways to use the internet.
ReplyDeleteI also liked the mascot idea. Very cute. I do think that it is important to get the parents involved for this age group. But, you could have an AUP that had pictures on it for the kids. Even if it was just 3-5 items, the kids would start to learn the importance of safety while using a computer.
ReplyDeleteParents would certainly have to be a big factor in a a preschool special ed AUP. I'm sure they might learn or reflect on a thing or 2 when going over the AUP with their kids, too.
ReplyDeleteI agree - it would have to be basic for the students but using pictures is definitely a great idea. Parents would play a big role at this age; which might not be a bad thing - you're educating them as well!
ReplyDeleteJessica,
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the idea of a mascot. Kids love Smokey Bear (the instant I mention him, don't you think, "Only YOU can prevent forest fires!"). Mascots are how we get little kids to buy into things, right? I love the Philly Phanatic (still do), and as a result, I LOVED baseball as a kid.
I wonder what the mascot would look like...perhaps a cute little computer monitor with arms, legs and a face. His name could be "Digi", and he could be there to monitor the kids and keep them safe (get it...monitor?). Maybe he could wear a safety badge!
Oh my goodness, the second you said mascot, I just became so excited for your students! I would LOVE to be safe on the internet, if a cute little character was helping me along the way! Good luck with your plans.