Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Reflection

I learned a good bit about virtual presentation options, web etiquette, and student technology standards.  I'm a bit more open to special needs preschoolers being able to navigate the Internet and now see a greater importance to exposing them to Internet learning at such a young age.  It has been especially helpful to see how my classmates have or hope to integrated technology into their lessons/classrooms.  Reading classmate blogs has provided me with many ideas to share with coworkers who continue to teach directly.

When/if I go back to direct instruction (I'm kind of enjoying the position I hold now, and find it hard to imagine going back!), I will feel much more prepared to integrate technology in a meaningful manner to my therapy sessions.  I see how Internet lessons can really increase parent involvement and parent follow through of therapy sessions.

I think that I'll be able to communicate the importance of Internet use policies more with my co-workers as well.  I don't think that's something that my coworkers have given much thought.  Each year, I am required to complete a "Self-Directed Learning Plan"  for my department.  I think that an age appropriate AUP for our department could be a great project for next school year.  I'll be speaking to my supervisor about it in July.  I think my coworkers and supervisors will be happy to integrate a preschool special educition specific AUP (and be glad they didn't have to create them themselves.)

3 comments:

  1. Jessica,
    That's a great goal and probably one that they haven't thought of. It will also help them to have effective ideas for using the INternet as a teaching and learning tool. You could set up a Diigo group for all of your teachers that you work with to contribute to. There, you can share sites, etc. for the students you work with, professional articles, sites, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I like the idea of CCIU PSE Diigo group! I think the teacher could really get excited about that. And, that would be a quick little set up. I might do that as soon as we start summer session in July. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have made a good point that reading each other's ideas has allowed you to share things with your colleages. The discussions and sharing have helped me as well. They have sparked ideas in my as to how I can improve my instruction. --Jen A

    ReplyDelete